Environmental issues are becoming more and more important to organisations of all sizes.
At Direct2Print we publish our own Environmental Credentials online (go to www.direct2print.net/aboutus.html and follow link to view our PDF under “Green Credentials”).
This document covers some of our purchasing criteria on papers, cards and packaging materials. We try and recycle everything – and in particular we are creative in re-using the large amounts of packaging materials we seem to accumulate. Having a policy is the first step as it outlines our procurement strategy for the use of recycled and FSC certified papers wherever possible.
However, we are now considering taking a few more steps forward to help save the planet and would like your opinions on whether we should offer our customers an opportunity to demonstrate their own environmental responsibility at the same time.
One of our paper merchants is offering us the opportunity to capture the carbon emissions by planting native woodland through the Woodland Trust and the Woodland Carbon scheme.
How it Works
- When we place an order for paper the amount of carbon dioxide generated in the production and the delivery of the paper is calculated and this item is added as a separate item on our invoice.
- We use this paper for your printing and add the same amount as a surcharge on the printed job – so it shows as a separate item on your invoice.
- We include a certificate and can include the Woodland Carbon logo below on any packaging or printing we supply – and likewise, you can also use the same logo on the finished printing and packaging you supply. In other words, both parties can demonstrate their green credentials.
- The logo will contain a reference number that relates to the original invoice providing confirmation and traceability.
- All carbon capture charges will be paid to the Woodland Trust who will in turn plant woodland at one of their accredited woodland creation sites in the UK.
- To enable the creation of more native woods and laces rich in trees.
- To protect native woods, trees and their wildlife for the future.
- To inspire everyone to enjoy and value woods & trees.
This initiative may be something you might find worthwhile – or you may just think it is a bit of a publicity gimmick. However, in very competitive trading conditions this could just give you a commercial advantage by:
- Providing a reduced carbon solution.
- Offering a tangible demonstration of your company’s responsible approach to the environment.
- Use of environmental branding – displaying “The Woodland Carbon logo” to enhance your own brand.
The downside is the small additional cost that your print prices would incur. The choice is yours but we would be interested to get some feedback on this issue.